TEMPORARY CHANGES TO PATIENT TRANSPORT CRITERIA DURING COVID-19
During the Covid-19 pandemic, standard patient transport arrangements and its criteria (see below for standard list of criteria) have been superseded by new national guidance. The aim of the NHS in North Central London is to ensure safe and fast discharge from hospital, and provide patient transport to and from ongoing care appointments.
We have adopted the nationally agreed priority groups of patients for commissioned patient transport services. The changes are so we can prioritise transport for the residents and patients that need it most.
Priority for patient transport will be given to:
- Patients with life-sustaining care needs who need to attend appointments for ongoing care and cannot safely use alternative transport
- Patients defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable to COVID-19 and who are in need of appointments for ongoing care and cannot safely use alternative transport
- Patients suspected of having COVID-19 who need appointments for ongoing care and have no access to private travel
- Patients who have been discharged from hospital and need to be transported from one care setting to another, or home, if there is no alternative means of transport
For people who are not in a priority group, we are asking family, friends and local volunteer networks to help take them to and from hospital and other care settings. We will only do this when it is safe and possible to do so.
If you require patient transport during this time, please continue to follow the instructions below.
Do you need hospital transport?
Before you ask for transport, please consider the following:
- Can you use the bus or use the tube? The hospital is a short walk up the hill from Archway tube station and a number of bus routes stop outside or very close by. Click here for more information about getting to our hospital.
- Can a friend or family member bring you into hospital for your appointment?
- We have limited parking spaces available for blue badge holders. On site parking for non-disabled drivers is only available outside the hours of 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday. This parking is pay and display.
Booking Patient Transport:
This depends on your postcode; you should be collected to allow enough time for you to arrive before your appointment; 15-60 minutes before the scheduled appointment time. You will be collected up to two hours before your hospital appointment. Please be ready when transport arrives as drivers cannot wait more than 10 minutes.
If your appointment is changed, or you cannot attend your appointment, please ring us as soon as possible on 0333 240 4909 to avoid wasted journeys.
It is very important that you let us know if your plans change. We may have to cancel your transport if you are repeatedly not in when we call for you. We want to reassure you that if you need transport we will continue to provide it.
Your Questions Answered...