Rapid Response and Virtual Ward
- Whittington Health NHS Trust
- N19 5NF
- 0207 288 3670
- Avoiding/Reducing unplanned hospital admission and Emergency Department (ED) attendances.
- Facilitating discharges.
- Reducing inpatient length of stay.
- Providing high quality care within a community setting.
- To optimise patient care, by involving an integrated multi-professional team.
For inpatients, the team also works collaboratively with the acute medical and nursing teams to decide whether discharge is possible, particularly with regard to older vulnerable adults.
The team undertakes functional assessments, provides adaptive equipment/walking aids where appropriate, and refers to home care agencies if needed.† The team has strong links with community resources and can refer clients to rehabilitation schemes if required.† The team also works collaboratively with the medical and nursing teams to decide whether discharge is possible, particularly with regard to older vulnerable adults.
The team works collaboratively with the medical and nursing teams, along with patients, families and carers to assist with the decision making, to achieve the best possible outcome. This includes considering whether an immediate and safe discharge is possible, and whether the discharge needs supporting.
The team supports in the following ways:†
- Liaise with the clientís family, care provider, and community services including Community Rehabilitation Teams and Social Service Departments to arrange appropriate packages of care.
- Provide therapists input including adaptive Occupational Therapists equipment to maximise function and Physiotherapists to support with mobility.
- Undertaking follow-up Occupational Therapy (OT) Home Visits to continue the risk assessment process within the home.
- Fast and efficient referral process